Divergent book by Veronica Roth

 What it would be like to live if you were only allowed to express one emotion? Divergent has the answer.

Divergent is a book series, a trilogy by Veronica Roth. Veronica Roth is an American novelist. A short story writer as well, best known for her book series, Divergent. Some other books by Veronica Roth are Carve the Mark, The Fate Divides, and Chosen Ones. She also wrote a short story series comprising five books based on topic Four, one of the main characters of the Divergent trilogy.

Divergent is the first book in the trilogy. It is followed by Insurgent and Allegiant.

Divergent also has a movie based on it. It has three, each based on one book although the movies don't have an ending. The last movie Allegiant ends in a suspense-filled situation. A movie was due after it but it was canceled in 2017.

The movie starred Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Zoe Kravitz, Kate Winslet, and many more.

Looking for more Divergent-like books? Here:

The Hunger Games

A new concept and an amazing one. Beatrice, a young girl who sets on a journey to finding herself as she doesn't fit in the selfless community as her family does. 

Here is what Divergent is about.

DIVERGENT BOOK PLOT:

Divergent is the story of a girl who doesn't fit in her faction. There are five factions in dystopian Chicago. Abnegation, Candor, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. 

To maintain order and peace in society, years ago Chicago was divided into five factions. This has continued to date.

Abnegation for selflessness, Dauntless for bravery, Amity for peacefulness, Erudite for intellect, and Candor for honesty. That's how they make society work in Chicago. 

Children from all five factions when they turn sixteen take an aptitude test. Test that determines which faction they belong to. Either they continue in the footsteps of their parents or they choose a different faction according to their test. Changing factions is not something taken easily done in the community.

Children are not allowed to tell the results of their aptitude test to anyone. They take the test that they are not allowed to prepare for that is followed by a Choosing Ceremony. They choose their desired factions and continue to live their lives.

DIVERGENT BOOK SUMMARY:

Beatrice who turned sixteen a few months ago lives in Chicago with her parents and brother as a part of the Abnegation faction. But Beatrice is not as selfless as her family.

Anything that can be considered as done for their own happiness is considered wrong in their faction. If you run because you desire it, you are not allowed to do so. 

However, Beatrice's brother Caleb is quite good at being selfless. He doesn't question it, he just does what he's asked to do. Same as their parents. Beatrice does not do that. She's always curious, questions everything, and doesn't love being selfless.

It's the day when they take their aptitude test. It's the day Beatrice finds out about her destiny. And a little secret, she doesn't want to live as a member of Abnegation. 

The test comprises a series of different situations, each situation rules out a faction according to the behavior of the person. In the end, there is only one faction left, the fate of that person. 

Beatrice takes the test and goes through each situation just to be told that her results were inconclusive. Apparently, she can fit into Abnegation, Dauntless, and Erudite. She learns that she is divergent. 

The woman who does the test tells her to never discuss the results of her test with anyone. 

Beatrice comes home and tries to make a decision. What should she choose? Or is she going to be factionless? Not be a part of the community at all. 

Read Divergent to find out what she chooses and how she deals with the consequences of her choice. A single choice that changes her life forever. 

A great plot that leaves the reader intrigued. A fascinating read. A strong female protagonist who stands for what's right.

Want more of a comfortable read? Have a look at this:

The Forty rules of love

DIVERGENT BOOK QUOTES:

1. On the table in front of me are two baskets. In one is a hunk of cheese, and in the other, a knife the length of my forearm.
Behind me, a woman's voice says, "Choose."
"Why?" I ask.
"Choose," she repeats.

(Chapter 2; Page 13) ) (The test)

2. "Wait," I interrupt her. " So you have no idea what my aptitude is?"
" Yes and No. My conclusion," she explains, "is that you display an equal aptitude for Abnegation, Dauntless, and Erudite. People who get this kind of result are . . ." She looks over her shoulder like she expects someone to appear behind her ". . . are called . . . Divergent."

(Chapter 3; Page 22)

3. "We aren't supposed to share our results." I nod. "I know that."
"No." Tori kneels next to the chair now and places her arms on the armrest. Our faces are inches apart. "This is different. I don't mean you shouldn't share them now; I mean you should never share them with anyone, ever, no matter what happens. Divergence is extremely dangerous. You understand?"

(Chapter 3; Page 22-23)

4. "How did the test go?" he asks me. I pour the peas into a serving bowl. 
"Fine," I say. I couldn't be Candor. I lie too easily.
"I heard there was some kind of upset with one of the tests," my mother says.

(Chapter 4; Page 31)

5. My father kisses my forehead and claps Caleb on the shoulder, grinning. 
"See you soon," he says. Without a trace of doubt.

My mother hugs me, and what little resolve I have left almost breaks. I clench my jaw and stare up at the ceiling, where globe lanterns hang and fill the room with blue light. She holds me for what feels like a long time, even after I let my hands fall. Before she pulls away, she turns her head and whispers in my ear, "I love you. No matter what."

(Chapter 5; Page 40-41)

6. "Working together, these five factions have lived in peace for many years, each contributing to a different sector of society. Abnegation has fulfilled our need for selfless leaders in government; Candor has provided us with trustworthy and sound leaders in law; Erudite has supplied us with intelligent teachers and researchers; Amity has given us understanding counselors and caretakers, and Dauntless provides us with protection from threats both within and without.

(Chapter 5; Page 43)

7. "You all right?" The Candor girl who helped me asks briskly. She is tall, with dark brown skin, and short hair. Pretty. 
I nod.
"I'm Christina," she says, offering me her hand.

(Chapter 6; Page 51)

A quote to remember:

“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

Read Divergent and let me know what you think about the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hunger Games Mockingjay

The Inheritance Games book 1